Sunday, November 7, 2010

Corrosive Challenge & PMS Blog Hop--My Grownup Christmas Wish List


So are you loving the new PMS releases this month? I know I say it every month, but I really am this month :) Wasn't Lisa K's Sugarplum Fairy divine? If you didn't start there, make sure you stop by the PMS Blog  to start the hop from the beginning so you can see all the new releases! Don't forget to join us tonite on the PMS Forum at 8 CST (did you remember to change your clocks???) for all the fun of the release party.

This sentiment is sooooo me! It makes me think of that song "My Grown Up Christmas Wish". Seriously...I want an end to homelessness and poverty, drug addictions and mental illness, to keep girls and women free of violence and to end this idiotic belief "we" have that rail-thin, air brushed, made up, distorted "models" are what is beautiful. WHEW...that was a little bit of a rant, wasn't it? LOL I truly want all those things more than I want another box of socks, or chocolates, or even clothes... ok...maybe just one chocolate?  This word art just speaks to me and the work I do every day at the YWCA Halifax.

Now, the challenge today at Corrosive Challenge is Black & Blue. This awesome Bella Blvd. paper was the perfect choice to mesh these two challenges for today.

One more thing before you head over to Ginger's blog... my letter for you today is "E"... you need that for your 15% discount code on all the new releases this month.

****************************************
OK....FAIR WARNING... the PMS Post is done and if you keep reading you're going to see a personal side of me that I've not yet shared on my blog. So...if you just came for the card, go ahead and hop along to the next person now...I won't be mad, I promise. However, if I struck a chord in the above paragraph, please read on. When I started writing this post up an hour ago, I really didn't plan on "going there", but well, things have a way of writing themselves out on a blog, now, don't they?
*****************************************
The one thing I DO want for Christmas this year is a goat. Yup... I want someone to buy me a goat. Well, not for me, really, but for a woman in another country, so that she can feed her family. If you think I'm crazy, please click here for the Oxfam program (there are other programs that do this). But, if you consider the internet an on-line store...well, then this doesn't really fit the sentiment does it?

But, it does bring up an interesting topic that is near and dear to me... how do you share the wealth at Christmas? There are so many programs to choose from. I've always been a bit of an underdog supporter (mental health, arthritis, now the YWCA). There's something about supporting a charity that doesn't have huge numbers of donors throwing money at you that appeals to me. I feel like my money is doing more somehow.

For the past couple of years we have supported a family at Christmas through our church. These were families that couldn't get support in other ways...they were falling through the cracks. We're going to do it again this year, but we're going to support a family from the YWCA Halifax HERizons program. This is a program for single mothers who are attending post-secondary education and were either homeless or in immediate danger of becoming homeless. YES....I said homeless single mothers! We have women in our community (and around the world, yes, I know), who are living with their kids in their cars, couch surfing, or worse...on the street. NOBODY should have to be homeless...but a single mother? KIDS??? I think about my two daughters upstairs in their nice warm beds, with their full bellies, and it makes me sick to think of what these women have had to overcome. At least I know that when I go to work everyday, I am helping them, and women like them who WILL come to us for help.

So...that's how I share the wealth at Christmas. Don't go thinking I'm some rich person, either. We do alright, but we're no Trump family. I believe in making a donation that is "sacrificial"...of consequence to myself...it hurts a little...or maybe it stretches a little. If it doesn't "hurt" a little, then you know there was room to do more.

Hmmmmm....so why am I telling you all of this? I don't really know, but it sure felt good to get it all off my chest. I don't expect to change anyone's mind about how they celebrate Christmas, or whether or not they donate to charity, but if I did, then BONUS! I guess maybe I was hoping just to make you think about it a bit more...where your donations are going. Are you really giving to a cause you believe in? Or is it just the cause du jour?  I want people to give to a cause they BELIEVE in...not just the first one, or fifth one they were asked to give to. Of course, I always hope to convince people that the work of the YWCA is a cause to believe in :)

There is soooo much more I could say about all this. But I'm going to stop here...and I'm sure if you've made it this far, you're glad of that. The last thing I'm going to do is ask you to tune in to KOOL 96.5 FM on Friday November 19, from 6am - 6pm AST to hear the Scotiabank Keep a Roof Over Their Heads Radiothon in support of the YWCA Halifax. Yup... a shameless plug. And if you're not local, then you can listen in on the station's website through your computer...maybe you're just curious to hear what my voice sounds like? Or you want to learn more about the programs I work for? It's all good...just come and listen.

29 comments:

Michelle said...

beautiful card..
and beautiful sentiments anita re christmas. you and i think alike re supportung those who get little (or not) attention or support thru mainstream highly publicized charities...
i too often reflect on my own life..and what i consider a wonderfully enriched life that my s child has. and this makes it easy to know in my heart...that even the smallest acts of kindness can immensley impact someone in need.

like you...we have adopted families at the holidays.and throughout the year make sure that we continue to "give" in ways that will ease the stresses that others may be having on a long term..or temporary basis..

if you ask me...giving of yourself...your time...your support..groceries...etc etc etc..ranks up there as being one of the top 5 best feelings in the world.

to look beyond ourselves and our own immediate needs keeps allows us to appreciate our own blessings..while being empathetic to the needs f others. perhaps this is the social worker therapist in me talking...but i prefer to think the talk comes form my heart.

what stellar examples we show our children by being kind to others.

sorry for the ongggg somment..but its refreshing to hear what you think..and to know that we share the same thoughts....and desire to "give" to others.

sending a hug to you...simply for the person that you are.

((hugs))
mish

Maria Gurnsey said...

LOVE the nestie shape with the sentiment...super cute!

AScrappersDelight said...

What a pretty card! And AMAZING post. Thank you for sharing!

Christi Snow said...

Your card is gorgeous, Anita! smiles...

Shaela said...

love your card! I never think of black when doing Christmas cards but it looks fabulous here :)

Danni said...

Gorgeous card but an even more heartwarming, endearing, thought provoking post. YOU rock!

Kristie said...

Very pretty! Love that dp!

Anne B. said...

Elegant card.

Stephanie Zito said...

Beautiful and touching post Anita! Your card is fabulous! I love your design and choice of dp!

Lisa Kind said...

Love your card and untraditional holiday colors! Very pretty!

Very thought-provoking post, Anita! It's so wonderful that we have advocates like you in this world to help others less fortunate! My hat's off to you for your wonderful work!

Lisa M. (aka. Lisabee) said...

This was such a wonderful post to read, Anita. You r amazing!

That card is just gorgeous!

♥ Lisa M.

Katie Cotton said...

this card is fantastic!!!! I love love love it! Great post too!

jan farnworth said...

your card is fab.

Crafty Engineering said...

Anita - beautiful card and wonderful message...always good to use our blogs for some "therapy" sessions:) I love all snowflakes on the card and the sentiment is so true! We have bought a goat (I think that is what is was) before instead of doing a gift exchange. I try to involve my kids some with the Shoebox programs through our church...which thanks for reminding me I need to do! Anyway, keep doing what you are doing...it is awesome!

Michelle VP said...

Beautiful card Anita - love the layout and paper choices! :) And I agree with your post too. I've been talking to my boys about the good that we could do for other people who have greater needs than ours. I want to teach them more about giving and not have their focus on getting.

Randee E said...

SUch a pretty card ANita - to be honest, I never even read the sentiment until I saw it on your card - LOVE it! And so true these days. My one Christmas wish that can't be bought, a cure for cancer, especially pediatric cancers.

Christi said...

What a fantastic card!!

silvia said...

Beautiful card !! We sponser a family at Christmas and also "adopt" a nursing home patient that has no family.

FibreJunky said...

You rock - and I don't mean because of your card. We're doing okay now, but we've been one of the adopted families before, when we were struggling to keep the kids in food and clothes and Christmas meant that either the kids got presents or the bills got paid - or sometimes neither one. I don't miss those days at all, but it's because of people like you that my kids have had some of their best Christmases.
Now, we do what we can, whenever we can. I hope to continue to do more. I think a goat is a wonderful idea.

Cammy said...

I agree completely! What a great cause to support

Sanwanya said...

What a great post!! Love the colors you used !! Such a pretty card!

Lindsy said...

Oh goodness! I absolutely LOVE your card! The dp is wonderful!

Mandi said...

Such a pretty card! And I think the goat to give to a family is perfect. My Aunt does that. My best friend and I have for the last several years helped a family in need at Christmas to provide them not only gifts for their children and even a couple little things for them as well, but also a full Christmas dinner. It is a rewarding thing to do and we always try to do it anonymously. Nothing better than giving back to someone else who is having a hard time and just paying it forward. Have a blessed holiday season Anita to you and your family.

Michelle said...

Such a pretty card...love the oval nestability you used!

scrappintlc said...

Beautiful sentiment and what a wonderful thing to wish for, for Christmas.

Jan Garber said...

If only more people felt as you do...we give what we can even in these times. You are so sweet! And your creativity comes through in your cards and your daily life!

Tina said...

This is so beautiful!

Jessica said...

Girl. Wow. That is an amazing Christmas card! And I love the rest of your post. We just finished up some Operation Christmas Child boxes yesterday and are trying to figure out what else we can do this year.

Ola said...

Your card is beautiful.... but what touched me more on this post is what you've wrote about helping others! I'm like you, I do not like donating my money to some big name orginization that has money thrown at them all day long! I'm going to go check out your link & discuss this option with my husband & kids!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

~Ola
okj83 at live dot com